The Dresden Files: Caught in the Undertow

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Re: The Dresden Files: Caught in the Undertow

Post  draxx on Thu May 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Yeah, he doesn't care about their opinions enough to do that. If you put up too much trouble, he'll just kill you all. But you are slightly more useful alive then dead, even if only for feeding his ghouls.
draxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Thu May 26, 2011 3:37 pm

Sad

...*Meep*.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Thu May 26, 2011 4:11 pm

...I bet you're feeling pretty stupid for not taking up the coin now, aren't you, Mr. Street Magician Man? Wink
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Thu May 26, 2011 6:26 pm

I totally got served by Cowl...Lore-served.

And way to rub it in, Indy. Wink

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Thu May 26, 2011 6:59 pm

You can always have him putting the stone in his pocket, or finding the coin in there somehow.
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Thu May 26, 2011 7:30 pm

Well, at the moment, the Coin is sealed in-between two flat stones, the rubber cement serving as a basic warding-circle, and with Early Christian Symbols chalked on to the sides.

Bartholomew's carrying it around in his overnight bag. So it's an emergency back-up option.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Thu May 26, 2011 11:46 pm

Yeah, because a Denarian with no particular combat experience or time to be taught his abilities would really be a match for Cowl. I mean, he's better off leaving it where it is. If Dee does try anything, he'd have to give the demon free reign just to be a speed-bump to Darth Bathrobe.

Also, I like the way you're playing him, Draxx, though it's not the way I'd go about it. Sort of sarcastic, depreciating and curmudgeonly, while not acting all that overtly evil.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Fri May 27, 2011 12:05 am

More along the lines of "A Denarian whose host got in quickly over his head and ceded more and more control to the Fallen inside would be able to be a much more dangerous threat."
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  draxx on Fri May 27, 2011 12:51 am

As for why I'm like this, my dad's a doctor, and gets very annoyed when people he's trying to help start making demands of him, assuming they no better because they've seen a few episodes of 'Scrubs' or 'Grey's anatomy'.

I had an extra paragraph for Cowl's rant, but I cut it so he could remain at least a little classy:

"Because clearly my only purpose in life is to hang onto the words and ensure the comfort of street magicians, men who, last time I checked, occupy a position on the social ladder slightly lower than dung collecting pedophiles. I must take the time to cater to their every whim, regardless of whether it serves their own best-interests or not, in order to do everything they ask of me. Tasks so important that they delay the work I do for others like them, while doing my best to ensure I do not unduly inconvenience you so as to not interfere with your schedule of rigorous masturbation."
draxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Fri May 27, 2011 12:53 am

Feel the burn. Because that is almost, if not more caustic than the first draft of an email to my ex.
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Fri May 27, 2011 12:55 am

Hence the phrase "Backup Option", Cracklord.

...Actually, I apologize for my brusque language: I think Bart's hissing match with Cowl is bleeding over into this ooc page. Sorry if I've been getting snippy.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Fri May 27, 2011 12:58 am

No worries. I'm in a horrible mood myself today, for reasons mentioned in my last post.
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Fri May 27, 2011 1:28 am

Wow. Venemous.
And actually pretty funny. I can just see him saying that in a perfect deadpan.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  draxx on Fri May 27, 2011 10:43 pm

Note: Venemous post is even more venemous. Read it if you ever get tired of other people demanding things of you. It will make you feel better.

I wrote it because, to me, it's a great exploration of Cowl's motives. He doesn't want to live his life on anyones terms but his, he doesn't want anyone to tell him what he can and can't do, and if he wants to kill someone he wants to live in a world where he can kill someone.
To do that, he is going to destroy the Accords, starting from the top and working down. And so he will. Some of them will get demolished in a single, decisive blow, others will get worn down until they can't fight anymore.
Of course, origonally his motives were a lot different, but something else has it's hands on him, slowly working him under it's control, explaining why he's changed fromhis origonal appearence. More on that will reveal itself later...
draxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Sat May 28, 2011 2:03 am

Just saw "13 Assassin" tonight, at the Glorious Music Box Theatre in Chicago.

All I say Is: It gives 7 Samurai a run for it's money.

....Basically, it's pure awesomeness.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Sat May 28, 2011 2:44 am

That's gotta be the dumbest plan ever. Really.
Red Mage: And there lies it's brilliance. It makes too little sense to fail.
Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped. The success or failure of any given step will have no impact on the macro level.

By the way, as I am absolutely without mercy, you are now up against five of Vlad's Henchmen, and they will be trying to kill you. One of them is the token smart one, who reads a lot and is probably his new main minion. The other four are madmen with guns.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Sat May 28, 2011 3:03 am

...Sigh.

Well, I guess I'll see how this goes in the morning.

I had a feeling this was a dumb plan. Well, best to try and follow through on it.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Sat May 28, 2011 3:06 am

The plan consists of him walking out, completely unarmed, and hoping they don't shoot him, then he finds some way to kill them. Even if the five of them didn't have guns and weren't here for no other reason then to kill him, they could rip him apart with their teeth and fingers, and they are too dumb to fool. The only way he could win that is a blatant Deus Ex Machina, or plot.
Well, this does, however, create an interesting point that otherwise might not have come to be. Cowl needs him for some reason. Will he save him?

I guess so.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Sat May 28, 2011 12:31 pm

Well, Bartholomew looks the fool again.

On the bright side, one could say that 5 of Dracul's very ruthless retainers have been taken down, and that this'll maybe drive a Wedge between him and Cowl.

Still, this was a messy, messy, affair. And that's mostly on me.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Sat May 28, 2011 11:58 pm

Okay: What. Da. Hell?

And that's a literal statement there.

And here I was thinking Nicodemus actually had feelings for his daughter. Silly, Silly me.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Sun May 29, 2011 12:08 am

...you really think that Nicodemus would ever allow himself to ever not be in control? Whenever anything goes off the rails, he gets really pissed.

Also, remember the scene where Shiro surrenders himself to Nicodemus? Remember that he offered himself in exchange for Harry, and that Nicodemus first assumed that he meant he would release Deirdre. His response?

"My daughter for the wizard? No. I've plans for him, and his death will serve me as well now as later. Harm her, and I kill him now."
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Sun May 29, 2011 1:00 am

I did have that scene in mind: I simply believed that Nicodemus loved his daughter, just not that much.

In any case, my opinion of ol' Nicky boy just dropped even further.

Not you, Indy. You're a cool dude. Just your player character.

Let's just say your Refresh Bonus is Deep in the Negative.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Sun May 29, 2011 1:07 am

I believe he loves her. I also believe he is incapable of true, selfless love. He's all about control, all about making what's his his, in every sense of the word. He cannot comprehend the idea of a true equal save with Anduriel.
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  draxx on Sun May 29, 2011 2:14 am

Cowl's method of recruiting is not exactly subtle, but I imagine it gets results. Same principle as the wolf belts, but a bit more direct.
In essence, they have to kill each other for the coins, or die horribly, as they are well and truly beyond help, and have no chance to fight them off. So those that pick up the coins have to give their demons total control, and will be so desperate they won't even try to negotiate, besides, the trauma of killing their best friends will probably make them not even consider redemption. Then the demons all walk through the door, the ghouls leaving them alone, and Cowl uses them on Nicodemus after making sure to buff them up with the perquisite rituals.
Minor talents perhaps, but the talent exists, and a demon can do a lot with a little.
draxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Sun May 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Here's what Dee has got on him.

Spoiler:
The sealed up Blackened Denarius that Nicodemus gave him, untouched.

A Torch-Stake: a rag-cloth oil-soaked Torch with a pointy end, in case he runs into Vampires.

A Consecrated World War 2 Bayonet.

A large bottle of Lantern Oil.

A bag of Consecrated Salt (add it to liquid for Extra Holy Effect).

A Water Bottle.

Magician's Wax and Magician's gum, a Deck of Cards, some normal coins, rubber band, handkerchief etc.

Chalk.

Garlic, Sage, Lemon Balm, and Mint Herbs.

A First Aid Kit.

A Lighter.

A Bag of Powder: a mixture of pepper, a bit of curry, powdered toad venom, and ground up LSD. The toad venom is a hallucinogen that acts fast within seconds to minutes, producing a near-death experience, while the LSD is a slower but long term hallucinogen, that'll make you trip major.

The Book "Denizens of the Nevernever". A good reference source.

Probably a change of cloths.

And just to be clear, how exactly are the remaining Talents supposed to get back to the Mortal World after going Lord of the Flies on each other? Will the Ghouls leave the ones who take the coins up alone? Will the fledgling Denarians be able to fight the Ghouls off? Is there still a Way open, or will Cowl open a new one after fifteen minutes to check on things?

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next