Dresden Files: Caught in the Undertow

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Re: Dresden Files: Caught in the Undertow

Post  industrious on Wed May 04, 2011 1:48 am

Elaine

For all her enhanced awareness, she's still only human. While she isn't taken by surprise, she can't exactly do much, being occupied with her next spell.

"Waqf," she mutters, and places a binding on the half-demon. It was a very crude binding spell, too; it merely dropped a cocoon of hardened air around a target. It was also calibrated for normal humans, and while the effort she put into it would hold her attacker for longer, it wouldn't be for more than a few seconds.

Luckily, those few are all she needs. A flick of her wrist, and a chain snakes down from her other hand, copper-plated coils gleaming faintly in the light. She spins the chain, whipping it out to strike at the man's face.
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Wed May 04, 2011 1:53 am

Elaine
The thing attempts to smash it's way out of the binding, moving far faster then she would have anticipated, almost as though the enchantment was slowly disolving around it, but it wasn't fast enough. With a wince as your arm clicks painfully, you swing the chain, wrapping around it's face.

Kincaid has finally fought off the effects of your mindfog, and vanished, though whether he's left or he's getting vantage to take a better shot is more then you can percieve. hyper awareness is all very well, but it doesn't mean you can see through walls.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  draxx on Wed May 04, 2011 2:11 am

Fix
"This is a bad idea." he says, but sounds resigned at this point. It's not like you even made him come with you, it's more like he followed you, second guessing every step of the way. He still has his weapons, although he made them so hard to detect with a glamour that somehow the security missed them.

Thomas
The White Court Vampire rolls his eyes, and picks up a magazine. The first article of interest is a 'sordid' affair between Chicago Cubs player Randy Wells and his sister. Apparently Lara hadn't found him suitable at all, because this sort of character assassination was only her style when she wanted to make a point. She rarely did anything without a purpose.

It’ll be the end of the poor mans career. That sort of publicity made everyone think of him as a scumbag, rather then athlete, and as such he’d find himself slowly sinking to the bottom of the deck, as people’s associations of him change. It’s like royalty, the significance of things is what people believe them to be.

For a moment, he considers taking the magazine and reading it at his leisure to determine what’s going on and reading between the lines, then he drops it and shrugs. Nicodemus was in town, Marcone was negotiating with him, and apparently A big bad scary monster had showed up looking for a fight. Lara was at the bottom of the pile in terms of problems, and while this was exactly what she wanted, he didn’t have much choice but to let her get away with it, whatever it was.

Billy Borden
Dark, slinking shapes materialize around the downed hybrid, as wolves appear from every direction. There were no more then six, but a wolf is a scary thing to materialize, and genetic memory made you prickle and squirm as they fixed their yellow eyes on you.

The cavalry had arrived, only a few moments too late.
draxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Wed May 04, 2011 2:34 am

Marcone
He continues the meeting, continuing to test their loyalty and bolster their resolve as it progresses. The appearance of infallible strength was important in this, the calm before the storm. They all had to be reassured that they were right to trust him to deal with their problems, right to look to him for leadership. Hence, a series of meeting, preventative maintenance after a fashion, to ensure his hold on the underworld was still firmly in place.
Everything is going so well until Fix, Sanya and Thomas arrive, all known accomplices of Harry Dresden.

Kincaid
A grenade bounces between Elaine's feet, coming to rest an inch from her. Even with her heightened perception, it takes her a moment to identify it. And everything seemed to be going so well...

Werewolves
Kurt Barlow has regained enough control to at least flail vaguely at you, although he doesn't have much co-ordination. Experienced hunters like you easily avoid his pathetic defense. Of course, his skin is tougher then a rhinos, thick and leathery, and your usual tactics are only scoring superficial hits that only serve to make him mad.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Wed May 04, 2011 9:47 am

Sanya

"Right, then: Dresden does this all the time."

Sanya gets up and attempts to barge his way through to where Marcone is.

B. Dee

"Thanks, Man: catch you later."

Bartholomew decides to stop by Bock's bookstore to see what's the matter, and then onward to McAnally's. Anyone he runs into, he'll give the warning: get barricaded.

Cause something's stalking the streets. And it's hungry for practitioner.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  draxx on Wed May 04, 2011 5:44 pm

Thomas
He looks at Fix, and stretches out a hand. "Hey can I borrow your sword for a bit?" He says. "I'm not much good to anybody unarmed."

Fix
For a moment you think he'd going to refuse, then he sighs and hands it over, drawing his gun in his other hand. "You both owe me." He says, resigned. "Alright? This is nothing to do with me. I swear, I try to do you a favor, and look what happens to me."
With that he steps up behind Sanya.
draxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Wed May 04, 2011 6:45 pm

Marcone
"Meeting adjourned. I'll contact you again on monday. Take the weekend off." he says, then looks up at the warriors three who have just barged into his conference room. He gets to his feet, shaking his head, as the businessmen troop out, looking a little perturbed.
He doesn't have any of his usual enforcers, in men in suits that cost more then most peoples cars. In a strange way, this makes him more intimidating. You like him better when you can see his cards.
"At times I wonder if I should replace that door with a curtain. Well, what is it then?"

Bart Dee
You knew something was bad when you heard the sirens. But when you saw the thin strips saying 'police line, do not cross' you know your worst fears are true. The shop is crawling with policemen, in full investigation mode.
And Bok won't ever be selling books again.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Wed May 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Sanya

Sanya leans back, sword at his side, fairly relaxed.

"I, personally was hoping you could give us some information about Nicodemus's whereabouts, thus cleverly manipulating us into dealing with one of your problems for you without lifting a finger. Or not: I'm not going to smash furniture or anything if you say 'no'."

Bartholomew Dee

Oh God.

Bartholomew finds the portion of police tape least manned by cops and slips underneath, pulling out a pair of gloves in the process.

Any sign of what's going on will hep him figure this out.

And...and he needs to be sure. It's...the least he can do.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Wed May 04, 2011 8:51 pm

Bart
You get maybe six steps before you get caught and instructed to leave before you contaminate the crime scene, and politely informed that you can be charged for being there. The police are still around, given the situation and the fact they are still looking for leads.
But you do catch a glimpse of him, and it’s almost enough to make you retch. His collar is bloody, his throat blown out by a high caliber bullet shattering his next, a deep, bloody hole.

Marcone
“You are already getting the bill for my door. Don’t strain your wallets too much.” He replies, totally at calm. “However, you will have to forgive me if I am less then intimidated by you while I am here. Fix, the only one of you who can actually back that up, is tied by other considerations. The other two of you have absolutely no way of backing up any threats.”
He rests his palms on the desk. “So then, my only motive is the consideration of self-interest, is it not? And the mere fact you come to me for assistance suggests that I might be better to throw my lot in with him. He certainly sounds less desperate then you do.” He looks the three of you up and down. “The odds seemed stacked out of your favor. But I prefer to play games that don't even contain a losing outcome. So in light of that, allow me to give you some small assistance."
He tosses you a pair of keys, and gestures at the vault. “Perhaps you shall find something in there that will allow you to catch up. I of course have no idea where you met it. Now if you’ll excuse me, some of us have to work.”
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  draxx on Wed May 04, 2011 9:06 pm

Fix
The Summer Knight shrugs. Well, at least nobody was pointing guns at him, although he had the distinct impression that was about to change.

Thomas
"Oh, you've got me all wrong. I'll break your legs like any other thug, if I think it's the only way to get you to talk." He replies lightly. "That's one of the many reasons I don't fit in at home."
draxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Wed May 04, 2011 9:27 pm

Marcone
He looks at the White Court Vampire. Then, in a slow, measured voice, says "Eek." It's possibly the most insincere thing any of you have heard. "Now I've gotten tired of you attempting to assert yourselves. Out of my office, now."
It was the way he said it. Not any bluster or fury, but an icy calm and a slowly growing irritation that bespoke of his ability to inflict grevious bodily harm. He picks up the keys and slides them over the desk to stop infront of Sanya, then sits back down, and doesn't pay them any further mind.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Wed May 04, 2011 10:23 pm

Sanya

Sanya picks up the key, externally not affected by Marcone's Steely disposition.

Externally, that is.

He elects to open the vault, see what's inside, then get the hell out.

B. Dee

Bartholomew turns quietly pale. "Sorry, officers." He says in a subdued tone of voice, and allows himself to be led away.

He walks over to a trash can, and retches right into it. Wiping at his mouth, a sudden burst of Panic hits him, and he pulls out his phone.

"Rich!!!" He yells {Ward-Guy}. "Bock's dead! Brutally murdered! Spread the word that someone's literally gunning for practitioners! Then get to one of the safehouses, and start raising Wards! You hear me?"

Assuming Rich gets that, he's taking off for McAnally's next, to see how many people are hanging out there.

You can't keep reacting to the bad guy's plans. But sometimes reacting's all you can do.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Wed May 04, 2011 10:37 pm

B. Dee
Rich was number twenty nine. When he left his place, well warded but very exposed, to go to the safehouse, exposing himself, Kincaid, who had been waiting for such a chance, put three bullets in his chest.

Sanya
You didn't expect this. Dedire is in a circle, bound and gagged, and drugged.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Thu May 05, 2011 12:39 am

{...If you wanted to put my character through the emotional wringer, then congratulations. I'm tempted to argue that you're pulling a Diabolus Ex Machina, but...well, I'm tempted. I'm not contesting your choice: I'm just telling you what I instinctively feel. }

Bartholomew Dee

No Answer. Bartholomew Dee grinds his teeth as a vintage mid Nineties cell phone rings in the coat pocket of his friend Richie, currently lying in a pool of his own blood.

"Fuck!!!!" He screams, hunching in on himself slightly: Rich doesn't pick up.

{Is Kincaid still near Richie's body, or did the hit happen a while ago?}

Sanya

Sanya stares at the imprisoned Deirdre for a while.

"Huh." He says finally.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Thu May 05, 2011 6:22 pm

Kincaid

Elaine drops her hyperawareness, twists a ring to create a more conventional shield, and hopes that it's enough to save her.

It is, but she's blown backwards into a dumpster, unconscious.
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Thu May 05, 2011 7:37 pm

Kincaid
The assasain has slung his rifle, and is now using the sidearm (naturally, a glock. Dessert Eagles are for special occasions). He points it at the wolves. They are an unexpected development, one he'd really rather deal with using his rifle from a nice vantage point. But you'd never guess that looking at him now. "Well then, I'm on a schedule, and you're all making me very unprofessional. What's say you go, and I'll pretend I didn't see you. You can even take this girl here, she's not on the list." She was, but Kincaid didn't know it. Afterall, she was listed as being in New York. Instead, he guesses her to be a White Council magician (she's definitely good enough to be one) here to investigate the killings, and so he had better not kill her. If he does, then they are the aggressors, and even Vlad knows thats a bad idea.
When they don't react his eyes narrow. "Oh didn't you understand me? Lets try it again. Woof woof woof." He aims the gun.

Bartholomew Dee
(Not really. He's just one of the few guys with enough competency to be dangerous, so Kincaid made sure to get him. And a Diabolos Ex Machina is where the universe conspires to make your life suck. Like a stray bullet kills your closest friend, your dog eats your cat and chokes on it, your house burns down thanks to a gas leak, and a stage magician hypnotizes your wife to make her sleep with him while a pedophile kidnaps your kids. All unrelated, all horrible, all too much to bear happening at once. When you're friends with a wizard, who is killed by a man being paid to kill wizards, we call it 'cause and effect'. And it happened two jobs ago, he's now at the safehouse killing anyone who arrives.)
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Thu May 05, 2011 8:09 pm

{Fairly said, Cracklord, and I'm not objecting: I just find it slightly frustrating that all the various
Friends of Bartholomew' NPCs that I came up with have all been killed off-screen in less than 10 pages, and that Bartholomew didn't even get a chance to 'try' and save their lives. }

Bartholomew Dee

Bartholomew Dee makes as if to throw the phone down in frustration, then stuffs it in his pocket.

"Fuck!" He repeats. God, don't let them all be dead...

But how could this be? How could the blond guy and his allies be killing off so many practitioners at such an incredibly fast speed? Minor Talents and Hedge mages don't exactly advertise themselves to others. Even during the Suicide/Kidnappings a few years back, it wasn't this fast.

Of course, back then they didn't have...

Bartholomew freezes.

The Paranet.

It's been compromised: an support Network of practitioners, meant to keep people safe...and it's practically a catalogue of every weak magic user in America...

The safehouse!!!

Bartholomew takes off. A place of refuge, only if your enemies don't know about it ahead of time.

Then it's a slaughterhouse.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Thu May 05, 2011 9:21 pm

BART
You catch a taxi to the apartment the paranet has put aside for this eventuality. It's near the industrial area, built to cater for a market that no longer exists. It's hardly comfortable, but it will keep you alive. And it has space.
Many of the practitioners have families, and those close to them, all of whom might need to be protected as well. It can fit maybe a hundred people, and the complex is owned by an organization bought and paid for by the weregeld paid by the White Court during the killing a few years ago.
It's never been used. It seems a shame that it's only use turned out like this.
Then you hear something a few alleyways away that sounds like an explosion.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Fri May 06, 2011 12:12 am

B. Dee

Bartholomew Dee freezes at the sound of the explosion.

Shit He thinks.

He reviews the numerous contents of the pockets in his large coat: coins, two decks of cards, a bag full of powder, a small tin of Salt, two lighters, magician's thread and wax, two wands carved with some nonsense mystic symbols, some flash paper...and a few other things. None of them directly suited for combat.

He approaches the alleyway, running on the balls of his feat. Near where the explosion occurred, he reflexively picks up a empty beer bottle, moves slowly, and peeks around the corner.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Fri May 06, 2011 2:52 am

Bart
You are looking at the slinking shapes of half a dozen grey wolves, muzzles low and snarling, hackles raised. they are in a half circle around a tall, blond man, dressed casually in a shirt and slacks, with a rifle slung on his back and a gun in his hands. Far from looking like he's terrified, his aim is steady enough to build a tower on, and he looks like he's trying to decide, casually, which of the wolves to put down first, as though they couldn't possibly be a threat to him.
He glances, dismisses you as no threat, then returns his gaze to the wolves.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Fri May 06, 2011 3:28 am

Nicodemus

"Get away from them, Hellhound!"

The Denarian climbs down the fire escape, his shadow, for perhaps the first time Kincaid had ever seen it, mimicking his actions exactly.

He plants himself to the mercenary's side; the half-demon is now flanked.

"You shall not harm any of them!"

His voice is different...there's nobility in it. An old-fashioned, chivalric tone that brings to mind the knights of old. Or at least, the ideal of those knights.

It's a very, very good performance, honed by centuries of experience. But, Kincaid having known of Nicodemus for far too long, having seen, firsthand, the damage the man had wreaked on Ivy, didn't buy it for a second. Of course, it isn't for Kincaid's benefit. It's for the people around him.

"So swears Nikolas Lionheart!"

No, it wasn't a mere performance; it's recursive. Nicodemus is playing a man playing what he believe a knight to be. His dress is an ordinary, off the rack suit, with none of the man's usual weapons or artifacts visible. His voice sounds somewhat forced and corny; someone who has seen too many action movies.
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Fri May 06, 2011 6:12 am

Kincaid
"This guy for real?" He asks nobody in particular, his expression so incredulous his aim slips enough that Billy is no longer being tracked. "Did you hit your head or something?"
Jared has indeed known Nicodemus since he began working as enforcer for Vlad, four hundred years ago. The man was a legend, and, in Kincaid's estimation, exactly what to avoid. Oh, killing and solving problems with a gun were vital parts of the world, whatever people liked to say. Without men like him, hatchet men it was safe to ignore, the Accords would not be able to exist, they would be dismissed, and the supernatural world would be in perpetual all-out war as conflicting interests came to head. Chopping bits off that didn't fit was important. And if he compromised to allow himself a comfortable life in doing it with considerable perks, then so much the better. You only have one life, but you can pick up another five causes on any street corner.
But he didn't like it particularly. He was designed to kill, and so that was that, but he wasn't dependent on it. Not so much it was all consuming. If he was a monster, he was a very tidy, efficient, and equalizing monster, that ensured a minimum of collateral damage and never lost sight of the goal. Not like Nicodemus, who did evil for evils sake.
He reaches into the back of his belt, keeping the gun leveled so that they don't get any ideas, and withdraws another gun, then turns so he's got one pointed both ways, and neither can move without him seeing. But the odds had just changed. Now he was on the defensive, and he'd have to find a way to even the score quickly, or, failing that, get out of here. His best bet was to withdraw, re-evaluate, then come back better prepared. He came to fight minor wizards and charlatans, not a real wizard and a blackened Denarian, and what backup he did have had already been used up. Next time he was going to make sure of whoever did the intel, rather then just take their word for it.
"Alright. I have you all covered, any of you move, I will shoot. And keep in mind we're nice and close. I'll hardly have to aim. I'm going. Try and stop me, and you'll die. I might go after your families to, just to make sure the rest of you get the point. Go that?" He risks a glance, no more then a micro second, up the wall of the apartment. Both avenues of escape were blocked, he'd have to go up.

Marcone
As you step in to take a closer look at Deidre, the door closes behind you, stopping at barely a crack. A moment later, Marcone's shape fills the remaining space, Hendrics braced against it, holding it in place, with enough leverage and mass that even supernatural strength wouldn't help much. "Very well done. Now that you are where I want you, please explain why I shouldn't seal you in here and fill the safe with nerve gas. Or just cut off the oxygen. And mister Fix? I would not try to cross over into the Nevernever if I were you. You will find yourself somewhere you will be unable to survive."
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Fri May 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Sanya

The Instant Marcone and Hendricks attempt to close the door, Sanya rams his bulk and mass against it, pitting it mainly against Hendricks...and not doing too bad: the Russian's pretty muscular himself.

Still, his muscles are fairly strained from effort, and struggle though he may, he can't keep the door from closing forever.

"Because it's not nice?" He wheezes out, in response to Marcone's question.

Bartholomew Dee

{*Blink* Oh, well played, Industrious, well played. I will honestly say that, if you play your cards right, you acquire some really nice unwitting pawns out of this.}

Bartholomew Dee snarls inwardly as the blond man glances at and dismisses him. If he were a sorcerer or true practitioner...but he's not, so...

Then suddenly, a man in a cheap suit climbs down from the fire escape and challenges that...murderer, in a brave, baritone voice.

Bartholomew blinks.

The banter could use some work...did he call that guy 'Hellhound'? Well, I just can't stand here...

He walks forward at casual pace, using all of his magician acting skills to present himself with so many undertones...poised, calm, collected, powerful, and bit arrogant.

His arms swing loosely as he strides forward, and on the upswing, a solid oak wand is in his right hand, pointed at Kincaid's feet: smoke wafts up from the tip as he doffs his bowler hat at the Blonde...The Hellhound rather.

"Funny: I was about to point out the opposite corollary: we have you totally surrounded. You'll probably only be able to kill one of us before getting either chewed to bits, beaten the crap out of, or charbroiled. Assuming you can get off that shot. You know what they say: only thing faster than the hand is pure thought."

He pauses in the precisely correct idle manner.

"And you know, you've already killed a lot of my friends: good people, people who just wanted to live their lives without getting slaughtered by assholes like you. At this point, adding more entries to your Grand Entry in my personal Shit-List is...dumb."

He meets Kincaid's eyes, and miracle of miracles, doesn't flinch away.

"So get the fuck out of here, Hellhound."

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Fri May 06, 2011 6:36 pm

Bart
As you grab the stick, the gun flickers over to you. He doesn't fire, which is more control then most people would have in this situation, but only because he recognizes that yes, the second he does the standoff will be broken and he will be fighting. And the first rule of an engagement is simple: choose your position carefully.
Then Bart meets his eyes. A big mistake. A big, big mistake. The soul-gaze, that occurs when a wizard meets the eyes of another human and they both see the soul of the other does not occur. Instead, you just meet blue-grey eyes, that widen in surprise, then narrow in a predatory fashion. Kincaid sneers.
His hand blurs and he shoots your hat off, then the gun lowers itself again, tracking the wolves before they can even move. "Sorry, buddy, but if I take smack talk from you I'll have to lower my prices. So stay quiet, huh?"
Then he leaps, dropping both guns as he does, clearing six feet and grabbing a window-ledge, gets his legs alongside and pushes off, clearing the alley and bounding of the apartment's opposite wall, to land across again, on a little balcony on the third story. He leaps again, and makes his way atop the roof, then unslings his rifle and begins reloading it with expert hands, looking down at the assembled group. He needs to clear them off first. A hail of bullets should take care of that nicely.

Marcone
"Indeed. It is, however, practical, from my point of view. And you must understand, given the state of the city at the moment I cannot afford to be seen as weak. If I allow myself to be intimidated by anybody who walks through those doors... Well, I'm sure you see why killing you would, in the short term, be of considerable benefit. However, I like to think you might be more useful alive then dead."
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Fri May 06, 2011 7:35 pm

B. Dee

{Oh, sorrow: it was an impeccable attempt at bluffing that was undone by a minor oversight, and thus Bartholomew's crowning moment of awesome became his moment of humiliation. Although...aren't there sorcerers out there who have skills with thaumaturgy and/or evocation who 'don't' have the sight? I thought the Sight was merely the province of full-blooded wizards, and that there were still magic users out there who could still do a bit of the ol' Flash Bang.

But you know, this scene actually works out:it's got Drama, and it puts Bartholomew through the emotional wringer even more}

Utter helplessness sucks. This fact is made manifestly and mockingly clear to Bartholomew as his target bound away with a grin upon his handsome, mass-murdering, trick shooting face.

Bartholomew Dee feels very very miserable as he pulls out his one and only smoke grenade, stolen by his cousin in the National Guard at great expense for a moment just like this, and drops it on the ground.

Smoke billows out, swiftly concealing the area around him, the Alphas, and Nicholas Lionheart, whoe'er he is.

If this guy somehow has infra-red vision or shit like that, I'll know for a fact that the Universe hates performing magicians. He thinks wretchedly to himself as he dashes towards the alley. Hopefully the wolves and Nicholas will be able to get out as well.

Then he sees an unconscious girl lying on a pile of trash. He stops running and crouches, trying to shake her awake.

"Miss?" He says.

Sanya

"Oh, cut your bullshit, Marcone." Sanya says casually. "This isn't saving face or doing something that's good for business. This is you deciding to kill a bunch of people just because Thomas said something vaguely insulting."

Some of his glare gets directed at Thomas.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next