Dresden Files: Caught in the Undertow

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Re: Dresden Files: Caught in the Undertow

Post  Cracklord on Fri May 06, 2011 9:32 pm

Marcone
"There is no profit in revenge, Sanya." He replies politely. "No, this is me taking an advantage, and weighing whether you would be more useful to me alive or dead. At the moment, I admit, I am inclined to let you live." This is slightly under delivered by the fact that Hendricks does not relax and let them out.
"However, first I think we better establish a few things. At the moment, I need Nicodemus to keep my status quo established. And as tragic as it is to have to work with him, I can assure you I have several psychopaths on my payroll already who have the potential to be just as dangerous. I find him distasteful, but I can deal with that as long as it is necessity. So you will give me your word that you will drop your vendetta with him for... shall we say the next few weeks? In exchange, I shall ensure you have all the information you need to hunt the rest, and let you keep this girl here to question all you want."

Kincaid
(Dunno. But Kincaid, is more the type to call a bluff then err on the side of caution. And one one of them would be far less threat to him then a full wizard)
He does not have the ability to perceive heat with his eyes. He owns a pair of night vision goggles, but not at hand. He does however, have very keen senses. However, the background sounds of the city are drowning his perceptions out, to the point he's not sure of hitting you.
With a faint shrug of regret he turns and walks away, making a mental note to be better prepared next time.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Fri May 06, 2011 10:48 pm

{Actually, I think Kincaid can see in the infrared: In Blood Rites he was able to 'see' the infrared trip wires for a bunch of Claymores. But I'm not complaining, and neither is Bartholomew.}

Sanya

Sanya pauses, still straining against the door, then says.

"I don't suppose you could let us while we discuss this? I swear not to instigate any violence here, by Hope and Faith and Love, If you'll stop trying to gas us."

The one nice thing about the Supernatural world: Oaths are pretty binding, and almost no one would dream of breaking them.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Sat May 07, 2011 2:22 am

((It's established that everyone can use magic to some degree in Dresden. It's an emotional situation, and he's around magicians. He could subconsciously be able to put smoke in the IR. I mean, it's not very far from what a normal magician does, anyway.))

Nicodemus

As the smoke clears, "Nikolas" lets out a sigh of relief.

"Thank God," he says. "I wasn't sure if that would work. Nikolas Lionheart."

He extends his hand jovially, if tinged with a bit of nervousness.
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Sat May 07, 2011 3:47 am

Marcone
He pauses. "While the threat of impending death is somewhat challenging to these circumstances, as well as a lamentably trite way to do business, somehow I doubt I will be able to convince you to step back into my improvised deathtrap once you are out, and furthermore I suspect that when you are no longer in my power, you may find my reasons less convincing. So I will have to refuse you this. Should you make the promise, then perhaps I will be more agreeable and more willing to let you out and complete our conversation in more civilised circumstances."
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Sat May 07, 2011 11:02 am

B. Dee

Bartholomew Dee shrugs. "It was 'bravely done', in a manner of speaking."

He offers his hand. "Bartholomew Dee, Street Magician by trade, and your humble servant, Mr. Lionheart."

He glances to the unconscious girl. "We should probably get her to safety, and then go talk to the Alphas."

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Sat May 07, 2011 11:12 am

Sanya

Sanya hits upon an idea. Marcone could be bluffing about the danger of stepping into the Nevernever: and if not...

Fix. He whispers. Try opening a Nevernever gate under Marcone's feet. Or Hendricks.

Speaking more loudly, Sanya continues his argument, the strain in his voice growing as he continues trying to keep the door from closing, (Even though Thomas totally has super strength and could be helping out: Thomas!), the gap currently diminishing to a crack one can barely see through to the next room.

"Marcone: I wasn't actually all that opposed to your suggestion. But strong-arming us into accomplishing a task for you...that's a pretty low blow, even for a criminal mastermind. Besides, isn't help freely and willingly given much more effective than help...nnnghhh....than help gained from bullying someone into compliance? You theoretically have lots to gain by letting us out, and I'm still willing to make that oath."

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Sat May 07, 2011 7:19 pm

Marcone
"That's not what Machiavelli said, and while it may only be a consequence of my life, I tend to find that human nature is far less honest and agreeable then you seem to believe." He replies blandly. Hendricks shifts, using leverage to keep the doorclosing. It's slow, but inevitable, like the march of a glacier. "People tend to work towards their self-interest. Right now, it is in you're self-interest to work with me, because the alternative is death. When I let you out, your priorities change. And as I have no other hold over any of you, I decided it was pertinent to establish one directly."
He checks his watch. He isn't even theatrical about it, which just makes it all the more chilling. "I have another appointment shortly, and this is already carrying on longer then I'd anticipated, so let's cut this over now, without you being deliberately obtuse in an attempt to buy time. Do you agree to my terms? I am happy to negotiate them once you have agreed."
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  draxx on Sat May 07, 2011 7:32 pm

Thomas
In this sort of struggle, mass counts for far more then muscle. And by dint of simple leverage, all he can do is slow the crawl of the closing door, even when burning through his reserves far faster then he cares to. His eyes are pure silver, his body seems slightly luminescent, and, the well defined muscles on his arms bulge like a condom full of coconuts, but physics still trumps his attempt.

Fix
He looks at Sanya, then shakes his head. But he closes his eyes and tries to feel the world beside him, no further away then the thickness of a shadow. He'll have to go deep, four layers at least until all memory of Chicago is gone to get by Marcone's wards. But anything could be there. And somehow he doubts he'll be lucky and find a meadow.
Of course, once when he did find a meadow a girl he'd brought with him had picked a flower, and a single bee had stung her once for depriving food from the hive, killing her instantly. Summer isn't necessarily nicer then Winter. It's just that associations.
"That would not be a good idea." He says at last. "In fact, that would be risking our bodies and souls needlessly. You are being obstinate." He's almost, but not quite, reprimanding you.
With that he gets to his feet, pushes Sanya out of the way with deceptive strength, and looks Marcone right in the eyes. "It will be as you say. So I swear, I swear again, and once more, by the ring and the cup and the sword and the staff. To bind in my heart until all is unbound."He draws a cross on the left side of his chest with one outstretched finger.
draxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Sat May 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Marcone
"There you have it. And was that really so difficult?" Hendricks stops pushing, and simply holds the door in place. "Now get me the same assurance from you're companions, and then we can have the same civilized conversation you wanted."

Kincaid
The Hellhound is nowhere to be seen. This is because he's returning to give his report to Vlad. The sooner he is satisfied by the declaration of war, the sooner Kincaid can be gone.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Sat May 07, 2011 11:34 pm

Sanya

Sanya groans, but steps out with Fix. "I swear not to go after Nicodemus until I've dealt with this other evil figure you keep mentioning..." He holds up a hand. "Unless I know that Nicodemus is about to undertake a catastrophic action that's going to hurt a lot of people. That's the best I can do, Mr. Marcone."

{So....is Sean going to show up to play Dresden? Or is someone else going to have to take up that slack?}

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Sat May 07, 2011 11:50 pm

(Lets just assume this is set after Changes.)

Marcone
"Good enough." He replies, and the vault opens. "Very well. We have the formalities out of the way. You break and enter, I threaten. Now then, Nicodemus is hunting down his wife. I am helping him, and we are both using this as an opportunity to learn more about the Black Council. In exchange, he is helping me with a problem of my own by the name of Vlad Drakul. His intention is to kill people until he is given a formal challenge, win the challenge, and as a consequence be considered the defacto master of Chicago. Currently he is in the process of attracting the White Council's attention by killing every nonaligned practitioner he can get his claws on. After that, he will come after me. Do you follow me so far?"
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Sun May 08, 2011 12:43 am

Sanya

{That's a bit of a retcon from our previous plot, but it works nicely: this probably also means the Deep Ones Formor will show up a some point.}

"You want us to stop Vlad in his quest to slaughter the Talents of Chicago, thus preventing him from coming after you, and also saving lots of lives in process, all without direct risk to yourself. Da?"

Sanya rubs the pommel of his saber with his thumb, even as he speaks genially.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Sun May 08, 2011 1:33 am

Nicodemus

"We should. I'm just in Chicago for a business meeting; I don't suppose you have a car?"

Nicodemus pulls out a cell phone, starts absently dialing.

"Oh. Right. You might want to stand back."
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Sun May 08, 2011 1:56 am

Marcone
He laughs in your face, a short bark of laughter that stops almost instantly as he gets himself back under a semblance of control. "Of course not. I want you out of my way so I can kill him myself."
He takes in your shocked faces, and bares his teeth. "Risk to myself. I think you've confused me with the White Court. Chicago is my territory, and I do not appreciate people trying to take it from me, or threatening my people."
Then he quietens, and the passion that had momentarily seized him was replaced once more with icy calm. "Of course, you have you own problems. I understand that. Fair enough, as long as you remain out of my way I am content for you to do as you wish. Might I suggest you take advantage of this momentary lack of cohesion in your enemies? The Denarians I don't need are vulnerable, and no doubt you all feel the need to complete Mr Dresden's last case."
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Sun May 08, 2011 2:18 am

Kincaid
He remembers a man he respected who he had to kill. The man's name was Napoleon Bonaparte. There were others, of course, there were always others. Kennedy, and Martin Luther King junior, Franz Ferdinard (before anyone really had an idea of what Kremmler was) and all he rest, but they had just been names and dates. Napoleon had been different, and one of the things he most hated about humanity was how quickly they forgot their heroes.
Only humans built something out of nothing. Napoleon had been an ordinary man, there had been no mystic conspiracy pulling his strings. He'd done all he had himself, and to Kincaid that was the epitome of what every individual should aspire to, total self-reliance. They'd never reported his murder, for fear it might incite another popular uprising, and said he'd passed in his sleep. But death came for everyone, it had no regard of power or station or anything like that. It was the great equalizer, and it didn't matter how you faced it. Dead was dead.
He knew where this thought would lead, and didn't fight it. He lets it take him back to last night, and Dresden. Well, he'd warned the man what was coming, all those years ago. It might have been written over the mans head in words of fire, audacity only got you so far before the consequences of alienating too many people finally caught up. They'd come to Chicago, and once he'd heard Vlad's plan he had driven out rather then let the one man who might be a threat cause trouble. He'd waited an hour, and shot him before he even knew what was going on.
He hadn't even hesitated pulling the trigger. It was only after, when he stepped onto the pier and watched the shocked corpse floating in the water that he knew what he was looking at. Their in the man's cold dead eyes was his own slavery reflected right back, his own impotence to be anything other then what he was. It was like soulgazing a mirror, and it sickened him. He had half a mind to go and try to kill Vlad himself, and the other half to pull the trigger and join him.
But there was still too much to live for. Damn it all to hell, but he was still Vlad's dog no matter how many times he said different. He didn't know if he could stand it any more.
He looked at his phone, wishing Ivy would call so he could comfort her and feel a bit better himself. It was unhealthy, she was not her mother, and just a little girl besides, but she was the closest thing to a friend he had.
He turns to the hotel, and shoulders his rifle. Then he leaves.

Last edited by Cracklord on Sun May 08, 2011 7:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Sun May 08, 2011 2:28 am

Ivy

The phone rings once more.

"Kincaid?"

Nicodemus

The act was brilliant, really. Ivy knew every word written down, whether electronic or analog. The new-fangled phones with keyboards really were a wonder.

"What the hell am I doing?" he exclaims. "How can I be so...so much of an idiot to forget 911?"

Only then does he dial and call for an ambulance.
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Sun May 08, 2011 7:15 am

Vlad
He found Kincaid on the roof. He had known he would find him there. He could feel all his children. The wind was savage, and the night black. Kincaid stood amid a murder of glossy feathered ravens, the birds flocking to him as though he was there Messiah. The assassins face was grave.
Vlad stepped out beside him. "So my company offends you, Hellhound."
Kincaid did not deny him.
A black knot of hatred twisted itself in Vlad's gut. Kincaid was Hamaya, his chosen. And he lacked the courtesy to even lie to him. Kincaid turned, and feigned interest in the chimneys of the factory's belching black smoke into the night sky. Vlad knew it was insincere. If he really did not wish a confrontation, he would simply disappear, like last time.
"Who is the master here Kincaid? Answer me that."
"Not everything is about you." He says. With utmost insolence, he turns to look at him again. "Sir." He adds.
"You did not answer my question."
Kincaid turned slightly, his mane of hair streaming in the wind. "I should not have to answer that question."
"But you do." Vlad replied cooly, not missing a beat.
Hatred blazed in Kincaid's eyes all of a sudden, and while a cautious part of his mind rebelled the rest leapt on, uncaring of the consequences. It had been building in him for a while now, and had to be let out. He tossed his head impudently, and a sneer touched his lips. "You want the truth? Fine. You're an idiot. You're too stupid to notice the worlds changed in the last six hundred years, and the only reason you're still relevant is men like me still feel some loyalty, although you alienate us pretty quickly. You make enemies where there were only friends. You don't know when to hold out your hand, and when others do, you slap them away."
Kincaid looks him dead in the eyes. "Want the truth? The truth is I've bought you some time, but you are going to die here, alone and forgotten. You revere strength, or at least claim to, but when others are strong you do your best to stamp it out. A strong man surrounds himself with other strong men. A weak man has himself a circus of simpering fools. Like you. You kill your children when they become independent because you can't stand the idea of not being the strongest. You fear strength in others. You don't want another son deposing you, eh Vlad? You are your own worst enemy my lord. There you have it."
"How dare you?" There was no anger in his voice. No bluster. It was almost a statement, as though Kincaid's defiance bewildered him.
"Got something to prove, Vlad? Strike me down. Prove me right."
"I still could." He raised his right arm, as if to demonstrate.
Kincaid did not flinch. He stared at Vlad's face as though challenging him, even begging him to do it. "You really would. You really are so foolish as to hit me for telling the truth, even when you don't have anything to prove. Go on then." He says, taking a step forward so that there was nothing between them. "Do your worst."
The ravens scattered, cawing raucously as they burst into the sky in a flutter of wings that blotted out the slice of the moon. The birds buffeted the pair, wings slapping at them, bullying them closer to the edge. Vlad took a step, unclasping his cloak. It fell behind him, only to be lifted by the wind. Billowing out, it sailed over the edge like his own pair of discarded wings.
"I liked you, Hellhound. I favored and trusted you. I treated you like the kin that you are."
Kincaid spat on his boots, and shook his head in disgust. "You mean you used me as a tool to do what you could not. What you were incapable of. There was no love or trust between us. Only bitterness, and naivety on my part. I should have moved on."
"At my side you could have the entire world."
"No. I could butcher the world with you, Vlad. But I have to draw the line somewhere." And there it was, the truth. "So come on then. Kill me if you can."
He was on Kincaid before the Hellhound had a chance to react, tearing at his face with talons that slid from his suddenly thick, scaly fingers. Kincaid threw up his hands to ward off the attack, he was no match physically, but he knew how to fight better. Vlad was so strong and fast he'd never had to learn. A thumb jabbed at his neck, going for the pressure-points, while his knee drove up like a piston between his legs. It was like hitting a statue for all the good it did. Kincaid felt his thumb dislocate, but Vlad still dropped back in a crouch, his face bestial, longer, and bony ridges shifting ominously beneath the skin as the true monster fought to tear itself free.
The ravens cawed and shrieked appreciatively, circling overhead.
Vlad lashed out twice more, and Jared could barely match them, stumbling closer to the edge with every blow. Then Kincaid caught the fist in his hand, stepping closer so that he could feel Vlad's graveolent breath sting his face. He slammed his fist against his throat, but barely felt the muscles give. The blow would have killed a mortal man slowly, suffocating his life away as his windpipe collapsed in on itself, and starved him of air. Vlad didn't seem to notice. Kincaid doubted a bullet would have much impact on that skin, tough as dragonhide.
Vlad twisted his arm, breaking his grip, and even as the Hellhound struggled to reassert dominance, Vlad surged forwards, with a dizzying combination of high left, to the temple, a savage low right, to the kidney, and a devastating second left in the center of his face, cracking a cheekbone clean in half and flattening his nose like a pancake with a spray of blood and cartilage, leaving only a pulpy mess where once had been Kincaid's face.
Vlad spun and kicked downwards, his heel snapping the links between ligament and bone, beneath his knee, sending Kincaid staggering and stumbling and swaying away, barely able to keep upright, and perilously close to the ledge.
The birds drove themselves into a frenzy, swooping around the pair.
Then Kincaid fell back silently into the endless black, to hit the street twenty stories bellow.
Vlad looked down at the edge, his eyes a burning red, and his face twisted with inhuman hate. "How dare you!" He roared at the unmoving dark stain at the base of the building. "How dare you!"
But there was no answer. No movement. Nothing but a broken, immoving body. Vlad growled, it galled him, but turned and left the body for the carrion eaters. That it would be found and people would search for the killer never entered his mind. He didn't know enough to understand that people would protect those not immediately associated with them.
Kincaid lies there, unmoving, his chest not stirring, his eyes open and glassy. And then, in the recesses of his clothes, a phone rings, miraculously having survived both the fight and the fall undamaged. It rings and it rings, but for the first time in twelve years, since the two of them began working together, her call goes unanswered.
She goes through to voicemail where she will never be heard. There is nobody to hear her.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Sun May 08, 2011 10:25 am

B. Dee

Bartholomew tries lifting the woman's legs up onto a crate so that they're elevated. He read that in a Boy Scout First Aid Book once. It should work right.

"It's okay." He says in response to the well-meaning and valiant klutz. "I'm not really a 'fizzler': your phone should be good."

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  draxx on Sun May 08, 2011 7:48 pm

Billy Borden
A wolf leaped over beside Bart, simmering in mid air, and as it landed the wolf was gone, replaced by a naked man crouching beside them. Billy was a little shorter then average, and had more muscle then Pecks City Gym. Medium brown hair, matching brown eyes, and a short beard that made him look far older then he was.
"Neil, go to the hummer. There is a medi-pack in the glove compartment." He says. Then he looks at Elaine. "She should go to the hospital. Now. Head injuries can be very nasty."

Thomas
He hasn't promised anything. But he doesn't mention that. It seems like a bad idea.

Fix
"Huh. Alright then. Thanks for clearing that up. Can we have your prisoner?"
draxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Sun May 08, 2011 9:31 pm

Marcone
"By all means. I haven't a use for her. Of course, you understand that I didn't give her to you." He winks. "Well then, if you have nothing further, I will have to ask you to leave. i am a very busy man. No rest for the wicked, afterall."
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Sun May 08, 2011 11:00 pm

Bartholomew Dee

"Gah!!! Nudity!!!" Bartholomew cries out, hold his arm up to block the sight.

Nice muscles tones, though...no! No! Think about something else!

He stands up, being careful about where his eyes fall, and nods.

"Mr. Lionheart here's called an ambulance. We...someone should keep with her until she wakes up. Vulnerable and all that."

He picks up his hat, said hat now with a bullet hole. He hesitates, then puts it on.

"Bock's dead. So'sRichard...at least I think he's dead. Everyone else I called hasn't been answering...I think that's Blondie...the Hellhound's been killing us all one by one.

Dee slams his fist against the wall once, his knuckle coming away bloody. His voice continues dispassionately.

"The safehouse's has been compromised. We need to quietly get the word out to anyone who's still alive. McAnally's pub, or St. Mary of the Angels seems like our best best as to a good refuge. Remaining separate just allows them to pick us off..."

His voice trails off. Blood drips from his knuckle. He just stares into space.

Sanya

"Oh. Ha. That's so funny, my sides split in half."

Sanya picks up Deirdre's unconcious body, slings it over his shoulder, and walks out. Hopefully Thomas and Fix follow.

He doesn't want to deal with a angry Denarian on his own, after all.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Sun May 08, 2011 11:04 pm

Nicodemus

"I already called an ambulance. They should be here soon."

In fact, he can hear the sirens already. And he's looking away from Billy, blushing as he does so.

"I don't suppose you can transform with clothes on, right?"

Ivy

There were not monsters under the bed. There were not monsters under the bed. The shadows were merely shadows. She knew this. She had performed all of the optics calculations, had surrounded herself in a circle made of salt and anointed with a drop of blood, and had clutched Mister the stuffed kitty (which she had abandoned at age 8, according to her Plan, but now had to use on a regular basis) to her chest to be sure of it.

But she still couldn't sleep, even after Kincaid's story. She still had nightmares about her time with them. It was perfectly logical to do so. She had legitimate trauma. It was nothing special.

But knowing this did nothing to stop her from having it. All the information in the world in her mind only hurt her; she could hardly see a therapist, since she'd be able to spot all the errors he made in methodology. And she really didn't feel like lying.

So she reaches over to her nightstand, breaking the circle, and picks up the phone. Kincaid would know how to get her back to sleep. He'd know.

"This is Jared Kincaid. I'm unavailable at this moment in time. Please leave a message."

...That was not part of the Plan. That was not part of any plan.

Slipping her feet into her bunny slippers, Ivy starts heading for the study.

Deidre

She's starting to wake up; Sanya can feel it. It's the Sword, ironically, that's doing it. Even unconsciously, she can feel its presence, and every urge seeks combat against it. Tranquilizers be damned, even.
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Sun May 08, 2011 11:08 pm

{Great portrayal of Ivy, Inyd: I mean, Kudos in the extreme!Very Happy }

Sanya

Sanya notices this fact with some alarm, and quickly backtracks.

"Sorry Mr. Marcone: have a bit of problem!"

He heads back into the vault and drops Deirdre back into the circle. He quickly pricks his finger with a knife to close it with blood.

Then he waits to see what happens.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Sun May 08, 2011 11:15 pm

Deidre

She wakes up then, and instantly transforms back into her demonic alter ego. Metal hair-whips thrash inside the circle, seeking exit, but to no avail.

"Let me out, Knight! Let! Me! Out!"

Yeah. She's pretty angry at this point.

"I have to get to him! Have to! You're all dead, you hear me? Dead!"

Deidre really did take after her mother. Impetuous, hasty, and really, really easy to get angry.
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Sun May 08, 2011 11:23 pm

Sanya

Sanya draws Esperacchius with a blinding flash of light. The Calvary Saber gleams with holy light, the Light of Hope itself. Yet still visible is Sanya's face, filled with a grim, steadfast purpose.

"Xandriel, let her go: you have no power here." He says quietly. He's referring to Deirdre's Fallen.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next