Dresden Files: Caught in the Undertow

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Re: Dresden Files: Caught in the Undertow

Post  Cracklord on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Kincaid
He begins, chalking it in black, and leaving out the runes while Ivy figures out what she wants to say. He doesn't use magic himself, for the simple reason that if he did, he'd run out of fuel far more quickly and have to spend a lot more time around Vlad, but he does have an excellent idea what he's doing, and understands more then just the basics and practicalities. In less then an hour, he's got the circle and most of it's lines set up, without so much as a single wayward line, not an errant twitch, not as much as the slightest gap. A circle like this would channel whatever it had to, and hold anything that could be held.

He steps back, lets go of the charcoal stub he used to sketch it, then takes a knife. There was no substitute for blood in a entropy curse, and his was intimately connected to Vlad's. Without it as a conduit, the curse would spend most of it's power traversing the distance. But he doesn't bring that up quite yet. Instead he watches her scribbling furiously on a ream of papers as she figures out what runes to use.

As she does, he writes the phrases, in Arabic, of course, translating them never gave as good a result as it does in the original language, and Alzaharad had been a traditionalist Ottoman through and through. Before he'd lost control of the powers he had possessed, and Rashid had killed him, anyway. Now there had been one for the ages. He finishes them, trying not to smear any charcoal but making a few slips, then sits back, pleased at the result.

Sartorius
The man takes the beating as best he can, coming to recognize the pattern you've fallen into and act appropriately. He does this for three rounds, then you notice two things. One, you've somehow been maneuvered against the wall, and two, he is smiling.

Lara Raith
When you don't reply, she takes the initiative, placing aside her glass, and folding her arms beneath her breasts and stretching back.
“So, where have you been the last few decades? You vanish suddenly, only to return with the Shroud of Turin, only to vanish again. I’ve heard all a manner of rumors… even legends, but each one is less reliable then the last."
She quirks her lips. "I can't help but wonder, what are you up to?"
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AnimeKid on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:17 pm

Sartorius

He resists the urge to smirk as well. Now that his opponent has him against the wall he might start to underestimate him. Also he noticed his pattern, meaning that he will expect him to continue his pattern. He shoots forward in a feint toward the repeatedly punched spot. When the man tries to counter attack he shoots to the side and continues closing in. He then tries to put his arms around the mans head and forcibly bring his head down while using the lift to his knee upward into the mans face. That's going to hurt if it hits.
AnimeKid

Sagittarius Rooster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Satrorious
You hit his face with a blow hard enough to crack stone. There is an audible crunch, and the man sways unsteadily, but doesn't fall, despite coming very close. He mannages to focus on you. Drawing back his fist, he hammers you across the jaw, then collapses, unconcious and bleeding. He's down for the count.
Nobody else seems all to eagre to be the next one to fight you.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:12 am

Ivy

She gives it a brief once-over, and nodding once, begins to write the runic equations necessary.

Taking each of the items, she draws a pentagram in the center, placing each of the items at one of the points. The girl is careful not to disturb any of the lines with her feet.

"I am going to purchase an industrial printer after this. It should suffice to create these circles."

She then draws a lesser circle for herself,a plain, unadorned pentacle, with its edge touching the greater circle's, and begins to place her own symbolic items on the points.

A 5 terrabyte hard-drive, containing nothing but ebooks ranging from the Epic of Gilgamesh to a romance novel printed all of three hours ago.

A sheet of paper with all of the fundamental equations of physics, written by Ivy with a purple crayon.

The first teddy bear given to her by Kincaid, after a trip to South America. The bear had glasses and the words "¿Dónde está la biblioteca?" written on its stomach.

Her first magical focus, a "magic wand" bought from a store and then engraved with runes.

And a Roman denarius, purchased off eBay and carefully tarnished in a specific pattern.

"Mr. Kincaid? I will need you to leave the room during the spell. After it is cast, the White Council will undoubtably send a representative to investigate the surge of arcane energies. Kindly show them away, as I will be recuperating from the spell for the next week."
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:17 am

Kincaid
He pauses a moment, double checking. Satisfied, or at least as satisfied as he can be, he nods. "Right. Don't worry, I'll make sure nobody will disturb you." That said, he steps out, and closes the door behind him.
Spoiler:
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  draxx on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:49 am

Fix
"You know, that's not even solipism. That's an outright lie, or a delusion." he says back, slightly disdainful. Without another word, he turns and walks away.

Murphy
The police woman walks over after Fix leaves. "Have a fight?" She asks, eyes clear. "Tell me what you know. Off record if you want."

Dee
A few pick up the coins. Then they go very still, in a manner you've come to associate with out of body experiences. Their eyes go glassy, and their lips move a bit.

(Look, I don't really want to roleplay this anymore, it's kinda dull, and i can't really do anything because it's really up to you. So lets just agree what happens and move on).
draxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Bartholomew Dee

{It's been incredibly tense via my point of view, but everything's relative.

So how do you see this scenario going? I can visualize several outcomes:

One: everyone who takes up the coins succumbs to the Fallen, and the slaughter begins.

Two: Half of them keep their free will, half don't, and a brutal melee begins, probably worsened by the direct onslaught of ghouls.

Golden Happy Happy Three: All of them keep their free Will, and manage to pool their resources to find a way out for possessed and non-possessed alike.

Which do you think is most likely? Whichever you choose, I'll narrate to it's conclusion, As it Please Ya.}

Sanya

"I'm sorry that you think that, Fix." Sanya says gently. "Please believ me when I say I have no intention of breaking my Oath 'Not to Go After Nicodemus'. Bohez Moi, I'll probably have my hands full dealing with Lara Raith, Vlad, and Cowl as it is!"

He picks up his duffel. "If you still do not wish to come with me, I hold no grudge."

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  draxx on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Dee
(Well, it all depends on how you think people act under pressure. My experience tells me that most people have an unreasonably high idea of what they can be expected to do. So I would lean towards One. These people are scared, weak, and under immense pressure. Most people crack, particularly when they have a being that can automatically know their fatal flaw in their head egging them on. And all the hope they have to be offered is 'well, maybe if we don't be tempted we can at least die, not gloriously exactly because the ninja ghouls can take us out without even trying, but at least as ourselves'. To be honest, if it were my story they wouldn't have lasted as long as they did without succumbing.
Fact remains, they are ordinary people, or near enough. Most have never even been in a real fight, let alone put through this. And most people who do go through these sort of situations don't make it, no matter what sort of training they have had.
But the fact is, it's a fictional game, with only the loosest of connections to the real world. We should go with whatever puts you in the best situation to enjoy your character.)

Sanya
Sanya is speaking to empty air. Fix is gone already. Murphy raises an eyebrow. "Let me take that back. Tell me what's going on right away."
draxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:46 pm

{I'll have to think about it. I thank you, though, for handing me the choice, Draxx.}

Sanya

Sanya rubs his head.

"Da, Da. You have right to know."

Sanya fills Murphy in on the shenanigans he's witnessed, plus a few he's not.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:48 pm

{Upon consideration, I'll elect to argue that this is what occurs, in both a realistic and 'intriguing' sense.

Spoiler:
Basically, half of the people who take up the coins become totally possessed by the Fallen, and half of them manage to hold back on completely losing their free will.

Mortimer (or someone else, if he's dead) manages to acquire a large amount of power from one of the Fallen and still retain his free will.

Or so he thinks. In actuality, the Fallen that possesses him has merely elected not to exert his will over Mortimer, leaving him with the illusion that he's in control. Mortimer will continue to think this until the worst possible moment, where the Fallen Angel will hijack his body.

This Fallen is from the coin that Nicodemus tried to give to Bartholomew, of course. It seems appropriate that that Denarian would be more subtle than Tessa's thugs.

As for whether Dee survives or not. I'll literally flip a coin. If it's heads, he lives.

That sound good, Draxx? The Scenario I'm painting is 'Humans aren't inevitably 'Lord of the Flies' types, but they can be duped. Oh can they be duped.'
}

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:04 pm

Nicodemus

"Oh, I dabble in various affairs, here and there. My soon to be ex-wife has a fondness for stirring up conflict; Darfur is a bit of a pet project for her. But I take a far more subtle approach. An ill-placed word here in a politician's speech, a misplaced order there."

He leans back, seemingly immune to her charms.

"And then of course, I take ample advantage of my longevity. I study and I learn about this world; there is no scrap of information too arcane to be useless, you understand. I seek to obtain, eventually, a perfect understanding of that animal we call 'man.'"

Ivy

She begins while Kincaid is still closing the door. She kneels in her own circle, begins the chant, and draws upon her own power.

"Ardente Veritate Urite Mala Mundi Ardente Veritate Incendite Tenebras Mundi..."

The door closes, and Kincaid cannot hear a thing from the other room. But he can feel the intense pressure that seemingly fills his head; the air crackles with magic, even through the circle.

Anyone with more than a minor practioner's worth of magical talent

They all feel the spell begin to build; a calm before the storm. As if the world is waiting expectantly. Those with experience can pinpoint the origin; those who cannot can still intuitively sense its direction.
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:09 am

Nicodemus
"Really?" She all but purrs, with, he thinks, genuine interest and excitement. He can't help but be a little flattered at the reaction. "Believe it or not, Mister Nicodemus, we share a passion. Humans are such a mystery, but one that is always such a pleasure to get to know."
"And speaking of your darling wife, I noted you in the company of a certain mysterious necromancer. One who endevoured to attempt to wipe out the court a year ago. And I couldn't help but wonder what you were talking about. Some lead to your wife, perhaps? Buisness before pleasure, afterall."
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  draxx on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:19 am

Dee
Spoiler:
Not bad, except you have to remember, the Fallen are holding all the cards in the deal. Because the only other choice? That exists and is even remotely viable? Certain death. All of the cards. I mean lets see how the negotiations might go down:
'I don't want to kill my friends. You can't make me!'
'Alright fine. Stay here, I won't give you any extra powers, and you'll die if you take a step near the portal. I'd go with that, because your other options are you can either be eaten alive, or one of them will kill you for the coin, and he can live instead. Quid pro quo.'
'How about you transform me, and we both go through the portal?'
'Let me think... No. No, I think I'll only transform you if you kill someone for my ammusement. And when I do, you remember this. Without me, all you are is a frightened little child, alone in the dark, and waiting to die. Understand?'
It's not really a question of whether or not they'll do anything the Fallen say if they transform. It's more a matter of whether or not they will let the fallen control them or die.
draxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:55 pm

Vlad
"Enough. Come children. It is time we destroyed the last challenge to the supremacy of old night." He roars, and abruptly his kin turn to look at him. They seep out into the darkness after him, heading for Marcone's address.
Vlad would have chosen his kin marching down the streets in perfect ranks, tearing through anything that got in their way, and sending their enemies scurrying before them. He has not ever had to adapt, and so changes in modern warfare are mostly lost on him.
But just the same, he doesn't want to warn Marcone of his approach, so he sends some hundred of his kin through the Nevernever, and takes to the streets himself, leading two score. They shall be the hammer that shatters the power of the human crimelord forever. The others shall be the net that ensure none of the vermin slip through the cracks.

Ebernezzar
You step out at the hotel. Room service takes one look at the two of you, drunk elderly hillbilly and old Native American covered in dirt, and touches the button to call security.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  draxx on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Ebernezzar
"Y maent yr mynyddoedd yn canu, ac y mae’r arglwyddes yn dod." The old wizard mutters in Welsh, ellecting a gruff laugh from Injun Joe. That said, he turns to the receptionist and touches his forelock respectfully. "We are buisness associates here to see Mae Chan. Could you tell me if she has chacked in yet?"
If he can get through to Mae, the problems should evaporate. He just has to convince the receptionist that he and Listens-To-Wind actually have a reason to be here.
draxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:46 pm

Cracklord wrote:Nicodemus
"Really?" She all but purrs, with, he thinks, genuine interest and excitement. He can't help but be a little flattered at the reaction. "Believe it or not, Mister Nicodemus, we share a passion. Humans are such a mystery, but one that is always such a pleasure to get to know."
"And speaking of your darling wife, I noted you in the company of a certain mysterious necromancer. One who endevoured to attempt to wipe out the court a year ago. And I couldn't help but wonder what you were talking about. Some lead to your wife, perhaps? Buisness before pleasure, afterall."

Nicodemus

"Oh, yes...him. The usual threats and barbs of youth; my lack of overt activity often makes me seem to be ever-idle, and thus not to be listened to. They ask me what I have done in recent years, and I nod and smiles while they attempt to surpass my meanest efforts."

Nicodemus smiles briefly at the impetuous youth. Well, youth relative to himself, at least.

"And his appearance did, in fact, confirm that my wife has been in contact with the Circle; he so much as told me. And Lartessa only has a single safehouse that she believes I know nothing of."
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:15 am

B. Dee

Spoiler:
Okay, Dee's screwed. Give me some time to narrate an interesting outcome.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:16 am

Lara Raith
"Tiresome, isn't it? So desperate to be recognized that they act like children. But no matter. It is good that they do, or they might become a threat after all."
Then she sighs languidly. "Of course, it sounds to me like he is trying to get you to stay on the path you are. He wants to mannipulate you, with reverse psychology of all things." She shakes her head. "How crude."
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:29 pm

Bartholomew Dee

{After some reflection, this is how I've elected to conclude the episode in the Ghoul Caves}

As all the people who didn't volunteer take up the Denarian coins, Bartholomew Dee puts on a pair of gloves, picks up the coin Nicodemus tried to foist upon him, and places it in Mortimer Lundquist's hands. The aging Ectomancer's eyes are glazed from the pain of the hook embedded in his neck, but he's still alive.

Bartholomew Dee, Street Magician and Occult Huckster, wipes the grime away from his face, shuddering at the sound of drums in the distance. With a shaky hand, he take a battered deck of cards from his coat and places it in Mortimer's vest pocket.

"Dammit, Morty, you've got to make it out of this." He mutters desperately. "One of us has to make it out of here and punch that smug Cowled Bastard in his mystically superior face. People can't walk over innocent folk like that. It's not right."

He looks up. The people who took up the coins are still trapped in their glazed, empty postures.

Gretel McGrady, who possessed a pronounced empathy with animals and worked in shelters, hesistantly grabbed the arm of David Worthwork, an amateur Psychometric.

"Dave..." She asked hesistantly. "Are you alright? Are you still..you know, you?"

Suddenly, Dave's eyes opened. And then another pair of green iridescent eyes opened, right above his eyebrows, along with a green angelic sigil that splayed across his forehead like a radioactive scar.

"No, Gretel." A sweet, lulling voice said using Dave's lips. Gretel spasmed once as Dave's arm morphed into a long, jagged organic spike and rammed into her stomach. "I'm afraid Dave's not longer himself."

As if through a signal, five more of the men and women who had taken up the coins began to transform, their flesh warping into surreal, demonic shapes, from a man made out of jagged obsidian, to a perverse, bird-like creature with shaggy feathers, to a figure silhouetted in darkness, sprouting sleek black serpent creatures that bit and tore and choked down strands of meat. One had become a volcanic beast made of molten rock, and it's stench was the strench of Pure Hellfire.

"No!!!!!" Dee cried out, pulling out his Bayonet and stabbing Fallen-Dave through the skull before he could transform further. "It can't end this way!"

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw some of the Fallen cutting down all the others, as well as the prone practitioners who hadn't made bargains yet. Some opened their eyes, flinging the coins aside as they tried to run or fight. But it was all useless.

"It can't end this way!" Dee howled as he flung some of the remaining Holy Oil at the Fallen of obsidian: the blessed substance sizzled the flesh of the demon-possessed being. Most it pissed the creature off: it made a sound like wind howling between jagged cliffs.

"It can't end this way!" Dee snarled as he picked up his Torch-Stake and grasped it with both hands, charging at the Obsidian demon. If he could take one of them down before they gained their balance, then maybe he could...

Something struck him in the back of his head. He bit his tongue, and blood sprayed from his mouth as he fell down. Ordinary coins fell out of his pockets, string and wax too, and his oak wands too, as he struck the earth, the paraphernalia of his trade scattered about him

He tried to pick himself up, but the Fallen leapt upon him and began beating and slashing and cutting...

[...]

Cowl looked up as Six Blackened Denarians walked through the Way he had opened. They came, as all Denarians are wont to, in different shapes and forms. One was obsidian, the other a shaggy bird, one was made of darkness and serpents, one was a lava monster, one was a weird hybrid of a Reptile and a humanoid wolf, and one was made of swirling clouds of raw ectoplasm, tendrils extruding from his main body.

The rest, it seemed, were dead, and off in the cave. Hopefully the ghouls would deal with the leftovers.

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  industrious on Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:42 am

Nicodemus

"Hardly. And even if his intent is to continue to lead me down, my wife does possess something that it is quite necessary that I reclaim."

He looks at her levelly, and Lara can feel a chill run down her spine.

"If a single warlock believes that he is a match for myself, then he is mistaken. I have killed more than enough like him."
industrious

Libra Monkey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  draxx on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:32 am

Cowl
He looks a them. "Welcome to your new life." He says. "This is Tessa. She is going to show you how to live." He steps past them, and through the portal, dismissing the barrier with a flick of his mind. stepping over the corpses as though they weren't worth taking notice of, he leans down, and begins picking up the tarnished coins. Five left. Worse odds then he would have hoped, but he could easily recruit some more operatives. There was a maximum security prison, perhaps he'd find some useful men there. It was important to get a blend of talents, after-all, even if they were inherently expendable.

We know what's in your heart (laughed the drums); We know what you feel, for we feel it to; We were with you when you first crawled into this life, and you have heard our pounding song (sang the drums); You will join us; You will sing with us, and our beat shall be your beat;

Cowl paid it no mind at all. Then he paused. A man in a suit, weak looking and a little jowly, had a coin, and was bleeding from a terrible wound at the side of his neck. He smelled of death, he'd be dead before the Ghouls got here for their feast. Where did the extra coin come from?

He closed his eyes, then leaned down, and began to stoke the man. He was weak of spirit, life was barely there for him. He had no real desire to survive, even a cowards desperation. But Cowl had will enough for both of them. Slowly, Mort found life forced back down his throat by the iron will of the man in black.
draxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cracklord on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:43 am

Lara
"Oh, are we being frank?" She replies with the appearance of surprise. "Don't worry, I'm confident you'll win. In fact, if I wasn't, I wouldn't have invited you over. It's just that I was going to ask you not to kill him. He attacked my family, and that makes us look weak, and personel. So we need to be the ones who retaliate. Appearances, you know."

She shrugs, and her smile turns wicked. "Of course, given the way my family operates, I could just seduce you," she strokes his arm, feeding a tingle of power, and giving just a hint of her arousal. Teasing usually got better results then forcing yourself on them. Because it made them long for more, rather then just be sated upon receiving it. "Then screw you senseless, point you in the right direction then say I manipulated you into killing him for me, but where is the fun in that? And I'd much rather have you as a possible ally then try to make you my slave." She smiles, and responds to his glare with smoky eyes. "Not that the latter might not be nice too."

Sanya
You come to the road. There is a gate. There are guards with guns, and the look of ex-military happy to have a lucrative job that lets them use their skills. They were not American, rather they had the look of Eastern Europeans. Probably done their fair share of service too, judging from the hard eyes, occasional scars and casual competency. All in all, they make Marcone's look like layabouts. You don't have a hope of sneaking past. And going in shooting will get you perforated before they bother to check who you are.

Ebernezzar
She calls, and you get buzzed through directly. She's clearly more then surprised.
Cracklord

Cancer Goat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Colesign on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:18 pm

Sanya

{Actually, Sanya was talking to Murphy and filling her in on the situation}

Colesign

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AnimeKid on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:53 am

Sartorius

He dusts of his hands from the fairly tough fight he just had as he laps up the last of the hot-blooded fight spirit the spectators had been giving off before the get bored. He then feels something on the edge of his senses. A small tingling, he shrugs it off but puts on one of his fully kinetic rings out of caution. Then Vlad and his men start moving. Something about destroying the last challenge of the old supremacy of the night. Figuring he should get out of there and probably explain that something big was going on he tries to find Lara, only to find that she left him! Damn her and her schemes. Now he was going to have to run all the way back to her place. Just fucking great. He gets started as he runs back to her place. Along the way he finds a local biker gang. He grins. 20 minutes later he is burning rubber back to Lara's place.
AnimeKid

Sagittarius Rooster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  draxx on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:02 pm

Murphy listens, tension growing in her with every word. It's like watching a volcano getting ready to explode.
draxx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next